The list of Southeast Asia’s largest marine life collections is incomplete without mentioning Underwater World Langkawi. It s also known as one of the most visited tourist spot in Langkawi. Located at an area of 6 acres, it houses thousands of marine and fresh water species from across the globe.
Underwater World Langkawi Highlights
This Malaysia’s largest aquarium has astounding varieties of penguins, ray fish, sharks, seals, coral animals, and hundreds of other species. Read on as this guide will prepare you for your trip to Underwater World Langkawi.
When you will go into the Underwater World Langkawi, you will notice that special arrangements have been made for different types of species. It is not only important to keep the species alive but it is equally important to keep them healthy and reproductive as well.
Educational Resource Center
In order to completely attain the theme of this marine world, the management has opened an Educational Resource Center, under which, guides provide information about species to the visitors. It also has a 3 dimensional theatre which shows movies on different marine species. The special most of all movies is the short story of Michael; a fish which has now become a fossil.
- Opened – 26 August 1995
- Number of tanks – 100
- Number of species – 500
- Number of creatures – more than 5000
- Divisions – 13
- Area – 6 acres
- Theme – Education and Entertainment
Things to Do
Below are some of the recommended things to do on your trip to the Underwater World Langkawi.
- Feed the animals
- Enjoy in the Picnic Area
- Eat at restaurants
- Organize Events
- Understand things deeply at Behind The Scenes
- Interact with Animals
Related Article: Best 10 things to do in Langkawi Island
Major Exhibit Divisions
There are almost 500 species of animals. All the species are exhibited in clearly defined 13 divisions.
- Tropical Rainforest Zone
- Sub Antarctic Zone
- Fresh Water Zone
- Temperate Zone
- Coral Zone
- Marine Life Zone
- Terrarium, Koi Pond and Otter Pond Zones
- Rockhopper Penguins
- Sea Dragons
- Southern Fern Seals
- African Penguins
- Tunnel Tanks
Things to Remember
For the best experience, please note below things to remember upon your visit.
- Don’t forget to come face to face with Amazonian arapaima, the largest known freshwater fish on the planet.
- Membership is also available at the park which helps you in getting special concessions and deals on Underwater World Langkawi ticket.
- You must take your kids to Underwater World Langkawi 3D theatre. A lot is waiting there to be learnt and remembered.
- Do shopping at Zon Duty Free Shopping complex before sipping coffee at the café.
- Underwater World Langkawi tickets are sold very quickly so try to get there on time and grab your ticket first.
- 10 AM to 6 PM on working days
- 9:30 AM to 6 PM on school and public holidays
- 3:30 PM daily feeding time to Otter Pond
- 10:30 PM to 3 PM daily feeding time to Harbor Seals
- 11 AM to 3:30 PM daily feeding time to Rockhopper Penguins
Please confirm the feeding time upon arrival in Underwater World Langkawi.
Underwater World Langkawi Price Guide
For some people, it might not be pleasant to know the fact that Underwater World Langkawi prices vary from person to person. The government employees can enjoy exclusive rates but they need to come with their government ID card. At one government card, 2 adults and 2 children can enter the park. Underwater World Langkawi price for tickets on government ID card include RM 22 for adults and RM 11 for children.
Underwater World Langkawi Entrance Fee
Unlike most of the marine worlds, Underwater World Langkawi entrance fee is quite low. It is:
- $8 for children,
- $11 for adults and
- $7 for Malaysian Senior Citizen
Underwater World Langkawi Address
Underwater World Langkawi address can be easily found on one of the most popular places of Langkawi. It is Zon Pentai Cenang, Mukim Kedawang, 07000 Langkawi, Kedah.
How to Get There
Pentai Cenang is located at a distance of 15 minutes only from Langkawi International Airport. You can reach there via local buses or shuttles, but Langkawi often runs out of shuttle bus service or in its number so the best option is to get a motorbike or cab. If you are coming through the sea, then get a ferry to Langkawi Jetty Point.
10 Nearby Hotels
- Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort and Spa Langkawi – 5 star
- One hotel Helang Langkawi – 4 star
- The Datai Langkawi – 5 star
- Four Points by Sheraton – 4 star
- Best Star Resort – 2 star
- Mutiara Burau Bay Beach Resort Langkawi – 3 star
- Resorts World Langkawi – 5 star
- Bay View Hotel Langkawi – 5 star
- Langgura Baron Resort Langkawi – 2 star
- Favhotel Cenang Beach – 2 star
Do you know?
Photo Credit: Geordie Barker